According to a widespread definition, a “special library” is one where specifics become the norm, in which the specialization (discipline or theme) has replaced the generalist offering. Despite being specialized, these libraries – unlike corporate libraries – may be accessible to the public, physically or online.
Whether they are art, music, medical, legal or museum libraries, special libraries stand apart from each other by the nature of their collections and the way they are used, their institutions or legal status, target audience, level of specialization, etc.
They do however have all the following points in common:
- Gathering and distributing high-level documentation to the public in their respective specializations, therefore carrying out regular and sustained document monitoring
- Identifying their target audience (scholars in the field, students, researchers, general public, etc) in order to better meet their expectations in terms of providing information
- For most libraries, preserving and featuring a significant printed, graphic, handwritten and audiovisual heritage relating to their history and areas of excellence.
- Developing nationwide or international partnerships in their specialization in order to complete and/or draw attention to their collections
Providing detailed document descriptions, drawing the attention of your target audience, conducting open research on external data pools, managing multimedia collections, optimized release of content and collections – these are just some of the challenges that the document information systems of special libraries have to meet.
Archimed offers a comprehensive range of solutions that are able to respond to the particular expectations of special libraries.
Management of collections and users – ILS
- Advanced multimedia cataloging for detailed description of your document resources
- SUDOC connector, OAI server for document releases
- Full acquisition chain, from reader suggestion to the tracking of order receipts and budget analysis
- User relationship management module to get to know your audience better and communicate with them
- A full-fledged and cross-module decision center
- A solution that complies with document standards (MARC, authority management, OAI, Z39-50…) and IT standards (full web, unicode, LDAP, etc)
Mediation of services and discovery tool – Portal
- Embedded CMS and discovery tool on aggregated and/or unified content (more than 50 sources currently available)
- Responsive Design for optimized access from any peripheral device
- Compliance with French RGAA standard with regard to WAI-AA and legal compliance
- Publication of objects from the portal to increase its visibility
- Personal environment for the user, dashboard, cart, automatic recommendations, push of new items, etc
- Built-in digital library manager that allows you to organize your local publications (archive data, electronic theses, research papers, student reports, etc)
- Dedicated tools for professionals (mass imports, batch processing, etc)
- Development of your archive data with the inclusion of ALTO documents
- Specialized readers (image collections, audio/video player, etc) and ready-to-use feature tools (image wall, timeline, flipbook, etc)
- Contribution chain to allow researchers and/or external partners to publish their works
Our modular solution is used today in many special libraries in fields as varied as music, architecture, art, museum libraries or resource centers, archives, and more.